Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Empire Builder - Night Two "Loitering" Part III

I realized after about an hour, once the alcohol had worn off, that there was no way I was
gonna spend the night outside. I gathered up my things and hit the trail looking for a
motel. After some inquiring with the drunken townsfolk wandering the streets I came upon
a place "The Downtowner". I walked up to the office but no one was around, who would be
at 2 o'clock in the morning. So I had one last chance in John. I peeled open my wallet and
dug around inside for the business card he gave me. As I punched in the numbers I had an
empty feeling filling up inside. It rang once, twice, and a third time. I was about to hang
up when a soft breathy voice came through the other line. "Hello?" "John?" "Yes."
"It's Kory." "Kory? What's happened? Are you alright?" "Yeah I'm alright. Just a little
tired and cold at the moment. My friend I was gonna stay with seems to have forgotten about
me." "Where are you?" "The Downtowner" "They ain't open are they?" "It appears so." "Do
you remember how to get back to Cooper's?" "Yup" "I'll meet you there in 10 minutes."
So I packed back up, lit a smoke and headed the two or three blocks back to Cooper's. While
waiting outside Officer Friendly approached me. "You just get off the train?" "This morning
I did." "Well what are you doing?" "On my way home." "And where's that?" "Chicago"
"Well then you're quite a ways out from there. So what are doin' in the mean time?" "Waiting
for a friend." "So you have a place to stay tonight?" He seemed to imply with his tone that he could provide me with some shelter if I didn't have a place. Although I'd probably have to give him a better reason then loitering. At this time John with another fellow, who I later found out was Pete of "The Lil' Smokies", pulled up. "You're friend is John Dunnigan?" "Yup." "You should've said so. I would've let you alone. "Hey John!" And the pair swung into a diatribe of the current state of culture here in Whitefish. From what I gathered Whitefish just recently started a beat cop for late nights on the weekends because of a rise in hooliganism reports, either fictitous or
factual, from residents and proprietors. "Go right ahead and make yourself comfortable."
John offered. "Have a goodnight sir" I spoke to the Officer. "Goodnight son and good luck."
I was introduced to Pete, and we headed the quick drive back to John's house. "You're a
lifesaver John." "This reminds me of the time I got left behind after a gig at some bar
in Bozeman when I was 22 and ended up making one of the best friends of my life." He responded. During this time John got lost on his way back. Eventually we pulled into John's driveway and I barreled out. Once we got inside I was shown my pallet for the night. "Are you thirsty? Hungry?" I thought about it for a minute, which John took as the affirmative. He threw
together some chili mac made with buffalo meat and a tall glass of water. We talked about
travel, venues, and songwriters we both liked. "I have something I want to show you." As he
lead me into his sanctuary full of vintage LP's, amps, guitars, pictures, posters, tickets,
passes, etc. He reached up to a back far corner and pulled off the wall a 1920's Kalamazoo.
It had been in his family since it was bought. He then showed a picture of his Grandfather
playing the guitar in a pair of jeans, an undershirt, and a cowboy hat. He then handed me
the six-string and asked me to play him a song. I picked out some Townes van Zandt tunes.
"I have never heard that guitar sound like that." He said. "Play me one of yours." "Sure."
"I didn't want to take too much of his time. So I played a verse and a chorus of Annabelle
Lee. "That's not it, is it?" So I finished it out while he just sat there in awe. "Hank
Williams would be proud. I really want to stay up all night and pick but we are right
below the bedroom where my wife is sleeping." He took back the Kalamazoo, which has to be the best sounding guitar I have ever had the privilege to play. "Where are you headed after this?" "Missoula." "Interesting. My son lives there. He's staying here the night tonight and will be headed back there tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to give you a ride if you wanted one."
"Really?" "Yup." I began to regret buying that bus ticket earlier that day. "Well we can
talk about it in the morning." He bid me goodnight. I thanked him again for his uncanny
hospitality and unending charity to which he responded "Good people and good actions make
the world go 'round."

No comments:

Post a Comment