Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Empire Builder - Night One "Catchin' The Nor'easter Outta Spokane"



Pulled into Spokane about 12:30am. Through the grapevine we all heard that we had a four
hour layover. So after some research and self-debate I decided to hit the streets. The
main drag with the hoppin' bars was only a few blocks from the train station. I went inside
to check out the station and found a little cafe that an old asian couple was runnin'.
They had some very reasonable prices so I got a super grease trap cheeseburger.
After washing it down with some salty spokane fountain water I made the quick trek to the
drag; found a nice dry and covered spot with good projection. There was a delightful man
working his late night hot dog spot who seemed rather glad to have the entertainment, his
name was Vic. Next to me was what appeared to be a homeless couple whose eyes also opened
with a faint glint of joy when I started to unpack my guitar. After playing a few tunes
Vic spat out some names of songwriters he thought I would know. "Townes van Zandt?"
"He's one of my favourites." I squaked back. "Me too. If you could play one of his I'll buy
you a hot dog." "Sure, why not." Even with the cheeseburger fleshly metabolizing, my
stomach growled. At first I was to turn down the hot dog, but rather insisted he either
feed the hungry or the drunk. After a half an hour, I became worried the train was gonna
leave without me. So I packed up at which time I heard "Where are you from?" "Chicago."
"One Chicago Red Hot comin' up." Too wrapped up in the moment I obliged then took a bite.
In this moment I realized home truly is more than just a place. It's the tastes, the smells,
etc. It was then I noticed the homeless couple again. I offered the rest of it to them but
the old man said with a jeer. "Vic feeds us every night." Before I left I made sure to give
Vic a CD for his hospitality. I've had several bad experiences with food cart vendors in
Portland and their disdain for guerilla marketing. Which to me seems a bit oxymoronic or
at the very least ironic. Back to the train to recount the events and attempt to get some
shut-eye before I arrive tomorrow morning. Next stop Whitefish, Mt.

No comments:

Post a Comment